Pages

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Book Recommendation: Under the Dome


I have always had my tried and true authors that I stick to. Creature of habit? Most diffidently. While pursing the book shelves of my local thrift store I stumbled across a pristine copy of Under the Dome by Stephen King. I believe it came out a couple of years ago in the Fall. Since most of the authors that I'm faithful to release their novels around the same time, I had some hard decision making to do. Under the Dome was put on the back burner. To be honest I stop reading King after awhile. I seemed to be have pretty vivid nightmares on the nights I read his work.

Back to the thrift store. Have you seen a copy of the novel yet? It's a 1072 page turner, a little hard to miss. As I was looking through the knit wear I glanced over to the book shelves and saw a man standing right in front of the novel. Being the selfish little creature that I am, I ran right over and snatched it up. In my defense, he must have not seen it himself as he was looking two tiers below. The man laughed as I picked it up and joked that I just wanted it because it was the biggest one. Looking back, that sounded like a double entendre. Whatever, I was able to buy what I truly wanted.
 
I can't remember the last time I picked up a novel that was so long. It seemed like a daunting task ahead of me. Can you be intimidated by the number of pages in a book?  I'm the type of person that even if I'm not engross in a novel I'll finish it just the same. I just can't see myself wasting time like that, besides it always feels good to complete something. 

The novel is written in an omnipresent narrative. We get to "watch" a small town react to a dome that has fallen over them and sealed them off from the rest of the world. There is a clear antagonist that thwarts the efforts to be released from the dome so that he may gain power of the community. I found that was the common thread, big or small it was about power and what others will do to gain and keep it. On the flip side of the coin, there is a group of people that come together to try and help the community and discover what has caused the dome to appear in the first place.

For me to think it was an undertaking to read the novel, I can only imagine what King felt writing it. It is a novel about a town and the many residence with their own voice of experiences. It was a much easier read then I thought, I just couldn't put it down. I even brought it in a backpack out to the desert ( a Kindle would have been perfect ). I wanted to see it through and have the characters I like get though their predicament.



If you have any questions regarding the book feel free to comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one of them. I will do my best to respond in a timely manner.xoxo-AlbeeLucky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...