Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

90's Fashion: Buffy the Vampire Slayer







For the past few weeks to get my vampire fix, I've been watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Netflix. The show debuted in 1997 and ran till 2003. That was one show that my mom and I could agree on watching together. It was fun with the quick, humorous, and heart-felt dialogue. It dealt with teen angst to the extreme. I think that a lot of young people related to the dynamics of friendships and of falling in love for the first time. 

I've noticed that watching it today is it is still addicting. I'm glued to my seat and still laugh at the little self depreciating jokes. I'm on the 4th or 5th season now and have been paying attention to what they were wearing. I remember that it use to be a fountain of inspiration for me. Buffy wore her 60's inspired coats, knee high boots with minis, and floral ankle length dresses. Willow wore the 70's skater/beach look. Boy size sweaters, tights, and tennis shoes. Kind of reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins video of 1979. Alternative clothing for the time, rated PG. Then you have the popular girl, Cordelia in brights and tight fitted clothing. It's also an echo of the movie Clueless. I think that the designers also saw it has another avenue to show case their clothes. Buffy is wearing a gorgeous Vera Wang wedding dress in the prom episode.

What really caught my eye, which was a trend that I loved was the stretchy pencil skirts that had a lace trim at the bottom. I had a burgundy one with black lace on the hem. Oh, how I loved it with my black knee high boots and sweater. I also had a cream floral one with matching lace, that I wore with cork wedges and a dreamy pale yellow tank. I wish I had photos to show you. It has really inspired me to dress up my current satin pencil skirts with lace. Wouldn't this skirt look cute with lace peeking out the bottom?

I just love going back to old shows or watching old films to see what was fashionably popular at the time. With Buffy I'm getting my monster fill and finding inspirational looks, killing two birds and all that.

6 comments:

  1. ohhh...the '90s. I just started watching Ally McBeal on netflix yesterday afternoon. I love your synopsis of the character's styles.

    Also, thank you for your continued comments on my blog. You are too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, could they be more spot on?

    I am having a Free People give-away on my blog if you're interested!
    xo
    strawberry freckleface

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blace- I haven't watched Alley is awhile, after Angel that will be my next show. Don't you just love Netflix? I'm always breaking apart things visually. Don't get me wrong I can appreciate a piece as a whole, but I love details more.
    xo-Albee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strawberry Freckle Face- Thanks for visiting and commenting. Just checked out you blog and now a fan of your posts.
    xo-Albee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a Buffy fan!!! Ahh, I am glad we like the same LA places! You think we will ever run in to each other and take pictures together:)?


    Kisses,
    Annabelle
    http://vivaluxury.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annabelle Fleur- I know right? Buffy was such a big weekly show at my house. My mom and I still talk about it :)
    Ha ha, maybe we will run into one another someday. You know how small So.Cal can be :)

    xo-Albee

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate each and every one of them. I will do my best to respond in a timely manner.xoxo-AlbeeLucky

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...